Parking lots can be confusing. With few designated safety boundaries between vehicles and pedestrians, hazards can often arise without warning. Pedestrians weave between parked cars. The vehicle can travel in any direction and reverse into and out of parking spaces. Doors open and close. Shopping carts are placed haphazardly in cluttered areas.
A parking lot is also a place where people are easily distracted. Many drivers believe parking lots are safer than streets or highways. This sense of security can lead to absent-mindedness. And, what’s worse, everyone is always in a hurry. These factors make the situation less than ideal.
Although parking is so necessary and ubiquitous in our communities, we design parking lots for their utilitarian function—building them for capacity, not safety and aesthetics. They receive little attention to the building’s interior and exterior walls. Effective parking lots are designed with pedestrian safety in mind as well as efficient vehicle storage—a rarity in many North American cities. In this article, we’ll look at how to choose parking bollards. Read on to learn more.
1. What is a parking bollard?
Parking bollardsIdentify and protect sensitive parking areas by helping ensure safe and efficient interactions between vehicles and pedestrians. If properly spaced, parking bollards can create clear, impassable barriers for vehicles while allowing pedestrians to pass freely. In contrast, continuous barriers such as fences and jersey barriers restrict pedestrian access to specific entry points—which can be inconvenient and frustrating when hurried pedestrians must move around.
Parking-bollards can also protect expensive parking infrastructure (such as ticket machines, police kiosks, and mechanical security gates) or other site furnishings, green spaces, exposed utilities, and loading areas, which can all benefit from more careful driving.
2. What are the types of parking bollards
The following are types of parking bollards.
1) Manual parking pile
Manual parking posts are the simplest and easiest type of parking posts to use. They control the vehicle into a position with a simple manually operated locking device.
#1. How Do Manual Parking Posts Work?
To prevent unauthorized access to your parking space, manual parking-bollards are hinged physical barriers that lock upright. Or they can be unlocked and folded flat on the ground for a vehicle to park on.
The locking mechanism for manual folding bollards can be either a key lock or a padlock. With either, the key or padlock can use the same key if you have multiple parking use cases. For visitor parking, for example, you might want the same key for all manual parking bollards, so that one key can open any of them. This makes it easier for building or facility managers to assign parking spaces, as a single key can open any parking post.
#2. How to install manual parking bollards?
Our range of manual parking bollards at aotons.com is very easy to install. They are all surface mounted so there is minimal impact on the concrete slab. We offer manual parking bollards with either 4 or 6 anchor points, depending on the model. Installation of manual parking-bollards is simple and easy and can be done by a handyman with simple tools.
To buy manual parking bollards, you can visit aotons.com where you can choose from a range of folding manual parking bollards. Here you’ll see the different features of each type of manual parking bollard to choose the one that best suits your needs. Please feel free to contact us if you need assistance. At aotons.com we offer manual parking bollards that make parking your car a breeze.
#3. What are the characteristics of manual parking piles?
Features of our manual parking bollards include:
- They are high quality, strong, durable, and reliable to make your life easier!
- Our manual parking-bollards are made of galvanized steel, then painted high-visibility yellow powder with red reflective logos for added nighttime visibility.
- Whether key-operated or padlock-operated, our manual bollards are easy to use.
- Surface-mounted and BCA-compliant, they are easy to install. This means they have little impact on the concrete slab, which is especially important in stratified buildings.
- Manual parking bollards can be used in a variety of applications – from residential apartments to office buildings, council car parks, and even shopping centers to manage and monitor the use of parking spaces.
- Waterproof and dustproof manual parking-bollards are available from us.
2) Remote control parking poles are super convenient
The most convenient way to ensure your parking space is available when you need it is through automatic bollards. There are two general types of automatic parking bollards. First up are the remote-controlled parking bollards that we will be discussing here. Another type of automated dock is the smartphone dock, which we discuss in the next section.
#1. How do remote-control parking poles work?
The automatic parking bollards operated with remote control are very easy to use. They protect your personal parking spaces from unauthorized use, you just need to use the remote control to lower or raise them. This means you never have to jump out of your car to lower them, like manual parking bollards.
#2. How to install remote control parking bollards?
They are also very easy to install and, like manual parking bollards, are surface mounted. Easy installation shortens any installation work required by our customers, ensuring a fast, hassle-free experience for you.
Remote control parking bollards designed to minimize the impact on large apartment and office building concrete slabs. As such, they comply with the Building Code of Australia (BCA Compliant), making approval for your strata building easy. The remote-controlled parking bollards come with three concrete screws that are 50mm deep and 8-10mm in diameter.
#3. How do remote-control parking poles get powered?
Remote control docks are usually battery-powered, so you don’t need to hardwire them for any power. This makes installation and use easier. And means you can easily get approval from the owner’s corporation for strata apartment buildings or commercial office buildings.
At my location, our remote-controlled parking-bollards are all powered by rechargeable batteries. This gives them a longer life expectancy and means you don’t have to charge them as often. Typically, our remote control parking post batteries last about 9-12 months before you need to recharge them.
To charge them, you can plug them into the charger that came with the bollard and let them charge overnight at any power outlet. The next morning, you just take the battery out, put it back in the remote dock, and it’s good for another 9 months or so.
The rechargeable battery has a lifespan of 2-3 years. So when this happens, all you need to do is replace it with a new battery. Some remote control docks available use 4 or 6 regular dry batteries instead of rechargeable batteries.
In our experience we’ve found that these batteries don’t last very long at all, sometimes you need to replace them in as little as 10 weeks. It’s not very convenient it’s a key reason why we invest more in our products to offer rechargeable batteries for your convenience.
#4. Where are remote control parking bollards used?
Remote-controlled parking-bollards are designed to provide an effective solution for parking lots and a range of uses. From residential apartment buildings to commercial office buildings, medical centers, childcare centers, shopping centers, commercial parking lots, and more. Aotons.com brings you the best buying guide for our remote-controlled parking bollards.
#5. Features and Benefits of Remote Control Parking Posts
The features and advantages of remote control parking-bollards are:
- They’re super easy to use and operate with a remote control so you don’t have to get out of the car.
- Each one comes with two remotes, and you can add as many additional remotes as you need.
- They are easy to install and come with fixings for concrete installation.
- Made of heavy-duty steel and cast iron, they are designed to withstand being driven
- A rechargeable 6V battery and charging unit are included.
- They are dustproof, waterproof, and rigorously tested in all conditions.
- They offer a 12-month warranty
#6. Why would you choose remote-controlled parking piles instead of manual parking piles?
Remote control parking dollies are a great solution for those who don’t want to jump out of their car but prefer to use a remote instead of a smartphone to operate their dollies. Additional remotes can often also be added to the remote control parking post as an extra accessory or feature if desired.
It is helpful if a driver loses the remote, so a new blank remote can be organized and programmed. In addition to being more expensive than manual parking bollards, remote-controlled bollards eliminate the need to get out of your car.
3) Smartphone parking posts are super convenient
The smartphone parking post offers the convenience of lowering and raising the parking post with a smartphone instead of a remote control. Or having to jump out of the car to manually unlock and put down the manual folding parking lock.
#1. Smartphone parking post lets you share access with other drivers
The beauty of smartphone parking posts is that they also allow you to share access with multiple users, just from your smartphone. And for remote control parking posts, you need to share your remote or give them an extra remote.
Your parking space is protected from unauthorized use with smartphone parking bollards. They grant the owner of a parking space exclusive access without having to jump out of the car. The smartphone-operated versions of these automatic bollards are at the top when it comes to price.
#2. Features of smartphone parking bollards
If you are looking to buy smartphone parking bollards, then let us at aotons.com guide you to some of the reasons why you should choose them. Smartphone Parking Posts:
- It is a safe, contactless, and contactless parking solution that gives you exclusive parking lanes. This has been a big problem during the recent pandemic, so the fewer things you need to touch, the safer you are from a health standpoint.
- Just tap the app within 20 meters of a parking space to turn your smartphone dock on and off.
- are surface mounted so they cause minimal impact on the concrete slab in the building. As with remote parking bollards, our installations are BCA compliant, which makes it easier for you to get approval from your apartment building’s owner’s board.
- The perfect solution for offices with flexible workdays and hours. In this way, different people can enter that parking space separately if they arrive on different days. They don’t need to get remotes or keys from your office manager.
- Equipped with automatic sensors, which means they will automatically raise and close 2 minutes after the car leaves. This means that if visitors or staff forget to “lock” the bollards when leaving, automatic sensors will do it for them. The parking spot is already secured for the next driver, which gives you added peace of mind and safety. Smartphones are carried by most people at all times. So using a smartphone parking bollard means you don’t need keys. An app on your smartphone lets you control everything.
#3. How do smartphone parking poles get powered?
Obviously, with a motor, the smartphone parking post needs to be powered. There is no hard wiring required, our smartphone parking post uses a rechargeable lithium battery. We provide a battery charger with the device. You typically get about 9 months of battery life before you need to recharge the battery. Your usage depends on how often you use it.
But remember, rechargeable batteries that are left unused for a long time will drain faster. To charge the battery, simply remove it from the bollard, place it on the charger, and let it fully charge overnight. Reinsert it into the bollard the next day and it will last about another 9 months.
The battery life is probably about 2-3 years per battery before you need a new one. To make things easier, our app has a battery health indicator light. This changes from green to orange to red to remind you when it’s time to charge.
Some smartphone docks run on regular supermarket batteries. Watch out for these batteries, as we’ve had complaints that they don’t last more than a few weeks. That’s why we’ve spared no expense in using the right rechargeable battery. Make your parking life easier.
#4. In comparison to manual parking bollards, how do smartphone parking bollards perform?
Smartphone parking stakes are perfect for anyone who wants to easily secure and share a parking space. They’re also best for drivers who use their smartphones for everything —they don’t want to worry about the remote or getting out of the car.
Smartphone parking posts are more expensive than manual parking posts. They start at about the same price as remote-controlled bollards, but they do get more expensive than they are when you add the automatic sensor feature. It also depends on how tall you want your smartphone bollard to be, as you can buy bollards in two sizes. Taller ones with automatic sensors are more expensive.
3. How to choose the right parking bollards
Parking-bollards offer varying degrees of safety and impact resistance depending on their material and type of installation. Visibility, aesthetics, and access control are also factors to consider when designing a parking lot layout.
By design, bollards create highly visible barriers to guide traffic and pedestrians within a given space.
SimpleBolt-on bollards are the most cost-effective and easy to install. In designated areas, they ensure optimal traffic flow by alerting drivers to potential hazards. If necessary, bolted bollards demarcate areas for shopping carts, prams, and wheelchairs.
Bolt-on bollards are not designed to withstand vehicle impacts and are therefore best suited as visual guides. They are semi-permanent structures. Although they can be easily removed and relocated, they are not moved as regularly as access control bollards.
For areas that do not require impact protection but do need to handle automotive brushes or collisions, flexible bollards can be used to provide visual protection. These polyurethane flexible bollards can bend up to 90 degrees upon impact, preventing damage to the ground and vehicles. They will return to an upright position and resist damage from repeated impacts, minimizing the need for maintenance, repair, and replacement in any parking area.
Bollards provide a strong physical barrier to prevent vehicles from entering restricted areas. Steel bollards provide the most basic form of this physical protection. They are made of structural-grade steel and are embedded deeply into concrete to withstand massive impacts.
Steel pipe bollards can not only prevent vehicle accidents but also prevent smash-and-grab invasions. Their stopping power, however, varies according to the ground conditions and how they are installed. To provide peace of mind during the project, anti-collision bollards are also provided.
They have passed standardized testing demonstrating their ability to stop vehicles at specified speeds when installed as directed. Both types of high-impact columns are commonly used to protect building entrances and storefront windows, which can be prime locations for vehicle intrusions.
The disadvantages of steel bollards are that they are inherently unattractive and can easily rust without proper care. At a minimum, steel pipe bollards should be painted regularly to maintain their appearance and prevent corrosion. Installing bollard caps is an alternative to painting and can be a means of achieving a range of aesthetic styles and designs that complement the surrounding architecture and landscape.
3）Protective covers and sleeves
Post caps protect steel pipe bollards from rust and damage. They provide better visibility for drivers and pedestrians and are available in a variety of materials, colors, and designs to suit any building or landscape. Many covers can also be used individually as decorative columns or as visible barriers.
- Plastic covers offer the most basic and cost-effective way to protect steel bollards while increasing visibility in high-traffic areas. Many plastic covers come with reflective strips to increase conspicuity.
- Stainless Steel Cover Provides a clean, bright surface that complements any modern architectural design. Stainless steel is naturally resistant to corrosion, which means bollards always stay in top condition.
- Decorative CoversOffer the widest range of premium aesthetics and designs for high-end architecture and landscaping. Decorative caps can also be used individually to enhance existing architectural designs. They are constructed from high-quality powder-coated ductile iron, steel, or aluminum to provide superior strength and durability in most North American environments.
Specialty bollards are ideal for controlling access to restricted areas or customizing spaces for seasonal or daily use. They are effective for reserved parking areas or areas that require only occasional access by service vehicles.
Once in place, bollards provide clearly visible guidance for traffic and pedestrians. After being dismantled, they allowed temporary vehicle access. Removable bollards can also be removed and stored in the event of a parking lot incident.
- Removable bollards are available with a range of flush mounting options. The bollards can be completely removed from the receiver to prevent tripping or obstruction.
- Folding bollardsIdeal for quick vehicle entry and exit and require no additional storage space when lowered.
- Retractable bollards can be manually lowered into recessed receivers, creating a clean surface without any additional storage requirements.
Planning parking lots can be challenging because of the lighting. When planning bollard installations, Solar-lit bollards can help ensure visibility of sidewalks near or around traffic and parking areas, making them ideal at night and in low light conditions to create a safer environment.
Solar lighting fixtures in particular are completely self-contained, meaning no additional trenches or pipes are required.
6）Accessibility and vulnerable groups
Children, the elderly, and people in wheelchairs are especially vulnerable to injuries in parking lots. Not only are they less mobile, but they are also less aware and less visible to drivers. Schools, playgrounds, homes for the elderly, hospitals, and other care centers are particularly prime locations for effective parking planning.
Buildings and landscapes should be designed with not only decoration and functionality in mind but also long-term use and minimal maintenance. Quality bollards and other site furnishings should be made from high-quality materials to ensure minimal wear and corrosion, keeping the bollards in top condition for years to come.
Above is the relevant information about parking bollards and how to choose the right parking bollards, please read this article carefully and choose.